Please read the following items to determine if you have an interest in our ministry and to see if you meet our general guidelines:
- You must have a housing need. Examples of need include a lack of indoor plumbing, poor heating, living with another family, overcrowding (three to a bedroom), unsafe or unsanitary conditions, and unaffordable rental payments.
- You need to have lived or worked in Powhatan County for the last 12 months.
- You need to have a minimum, steady household income, depending on family size and including income from all adults living in the home, of at least $2000 but no more than $4000 per month. The income limits are larger for larger families.
- With your permission, we will verify employment and other income, verify checking and savings account balances, get a statement from your current and previous landlords, have a credit check done, and ask you for credit references. We will also visit your current home to inspect your living conditions.
- You must attend classes to learn and practice budgeting, basic home repair, and home maintenance.
- The adult (18 years and older) members of your household must be willing to work a total of 200 hours on your home during the construction period.
- You must submit $500 at the time of closing to be applied to any closing costs. You will have time to save this money before closing if selected.
- Habitat will sell you a home for a price determined by the Habitat Board based upon the costs of land, professional labor, and materials. Habitat will issue you a no interest or low interest loan for the selling price. This price and the interest rate will be considerably less than market. A second mortgage will be issued for the difference. You will only be required to pay the first mortgage, taxes, and insurance. The proceeds will go to build more Habitat homes in Powhatan County.
After reviewing the above qualifications and determining if you qualify, you may download a homeowner application or contact the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 598-4546. However, please note that we will not be accepting applications until late 2018.
This page is undergoing a content update. Please bear with us as we complete changes across the entire website.